In today’s world dishwasher is quite commonly used in normal households as well as in restaurants for cleaning purposes (like cooking utensils, dishes etc). After washing the dirty stuff it also makes your utensils dry, without leaving a single spot of water. Over the years this technology improved a lot, like water usage, cleaning capability, size of motor, energy efficiency etc. Some of the top brands for dishwasher are Bosch, Kenmore, LG, Maytag, Whirlpool.
However the following tips will help you to choose the right one for you.
Capacity & size
A regular 18″ dishwasher is sufficient for 2-3 persons, which can carry 6-8 standard place settings. On the other hand for a normal sized family size 24″ is more applicable with 12-14 standard place settings.
Make sure that your dishwasher has adjustable racks, which you can move up & down. Some odd shaped utensils need to be fitted there so it surely helps if you can re adjust the interior to place those odd shaped stuff. Instead of having plastic tubs, try to get stainless steel tubs to avoid stains.
Normally you can get three types of dishwashers, like countertop models/drawer, portable & built in. However each one has its own set of advantages & limits. You need to decide which one is more suitable for you & your kitchen.
Hard food disposal
For people who do not like scraping, washing or soaking their dishes before placing them in the dishwasher having an option for disposing hard food in the dishwasher is an added bonus. This feature helps in removing left over residue of food and does not allow grime to stay away even during the rinse cycle. However check the filtration system of such dishwashers and also check whether they are easy to maintain or not.
Consider the price & customer reviews
Don’t just buy them just because the company is offering some exciting deals. Make sure you can afford it without any pressure. Various sites offer customer reviews, go through them. It will give you some ideas about which one to buy & which one not.
Try to figure out energy saving dishwasher. These types of dishwasher use less temperature & are able to save quite a bit of energy.
Guides for using a dishwasher
- Though using a dishwasher is not a very tough job to do, however this friendly guide will help you for your first use.
- Make sure that your detergent is specially mentioned as a dishwasher detergent. Never use your regular dish cleaning soap.
- It requires space for water jet to spray, so don’t load your dishwasher excessively.
- Remember to place the dish’s unclean sides towards jets.
- Stay away from mixing silver & steel together. It will encourage corrosion.
- Read the manual properly so that you can get an idea about what to put & what not. Some utensils like crystal, cast iron, hand painted stuff, wood etc. need to be avoided.
- To get a better cleaning, use it when the water pressure is at its maximum.
- Especially when you are using the hot drying cycle make sure you are not placing your plastic container on the base rack, otherwise it could melt.
- If you want to dry your dishes fast then you can use the rinse option. It can also help you by removing all spots.
- Before putting the dishes into your dishwasher make sure you have removed all the bigger residues.
- Be careful while you are putting stuff in it. Cartulary should go to their separate place, dishes & bowls have also their different places according to their shapes. If you mix this stuff together then water will not be able to reach each of them & possibly will leave residue behind.
- After hearing the finishing alarm let it stand for a few minutes. It will cool down well & then open it to take off your utensils.